Enrolling Now! Winter 2023 Focus Month
Get focused with us February 6 to March 5Get More Info Here!
Asian Baked Chicken Thighs
Served over cauliflower rice
I love the flavors of Asian foods but finding a low carb option can be tricky. Not to mention Asian cooking often feels like a more advanced level of cooking than the typical weeknight dinner!
What I love most about these Asian Chicken Thighs is the use of powered peanut butter to bring out an extra boost of flavor. Because it doesn’t have the oil of traditional peanut butter it saves on fat and calories making this more suitable for post-op bariatric patients.
It’s true the chicken thighs have a bit more fat than chicken breast. Many post-op patients prefer the softer texture of the thigh meat and an occasional recipe like this is appropriate for keeping on track. If however, your food journal shows your fat content is higher than desired (I often recommend 50% protein, 20% carb and 30% fat) you may consider making this recipe with cubed chicken breast.
As I’ve gotten to know cauliflower rice and all of it’s uses, I purchase in bulk from Costco. (Click here to check out my Costco Guide for WLS shopping!) It’s a great way to cut out rice in anything from Asian meals like this to stuffed poblano peppers like the one shown below:
Asian Chicken Thighs with Cauliflower Rice
- 1/3 cup light Asian salad dressing
- 2 tbsp powdered peanut butter Ex: PB2 or PBFit
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 bag frozen riced cauliflower
- Heat oven to 350F. In a small bowl whisk together salad dressing, powdered peanut butter and soy sauce.
- Microwave frozen riced cauliflower per package instructions. Move on to next steps while it cooks. When finished, open bag and pour into bottom of 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat sprayed with cooking spray. Add chicken and brown on each side. Remove and add over top of riced cauliflower.
- Add onions and peppers to the skillet. Cook 3 minutes. Add over top of chicken. Pour salad dressing mixture over all ingredients and place in oven heated to 350F.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is done (165F). Remove, allow to cool slightly and serve.