Chicken Cacciatore also known as Hunters Stew
Lean protein, fresh vegetables
I love this recipe because it brings fresh flavors and texture with the vegetables plus it keeps the chicken moist and easily to tolerate after weight loss surgery!
Servings: 6 servings
Cost: $1.13 per serving
Cacciatore means 'hunter' in Italian and is a dish often using onion, tomatoes and herbs. A flavorful bariatric friendly stovetop dinner.Pin Recipe Print Recipe
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large Zucchini Squash
- 10 baby carrots or 2 large carrots
- 1 tsp dried minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Begin by chopping vegetables. Dice zucchini and slice carrots. Using kitchen shears cut anything unwanted off chicken. Cut breast in half lengthwise and cut in half again to make a thinner serving of chicken.
- Heat a large deep skillet to medium heat. Add 2 tsp olive oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown both sides of chicken. Set aside in a covered dish to keep warm.
- Add zucchini, carrots and minced garlic to the heated skillet. Stir often and cook for about 8 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and oregano.
- Add chicken back to the skillet, pressing on it lightly to cover it in the sauce. Turn heat to low and add a lid. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes and double check internal temperature is 160F.
- Remove from heat and serve chicken with vegetables.
One portion will provide approximately 3 ounces of meat and 1/2 cup of vegetables. Listen to your pouch and stop at the first sign of fullness. Servings are shared to allow you to know how much the recipe will make, but not dictate how much you are supposed to eat.
Serving: 3oz | Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 202mg | Potassium: 476mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2443IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg
Amount Per Serving (3 oz)
Calories 180 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin A 2443IU49%
Vitamin C 11mg13%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.