Back to School Special!
$25 to BariBox, with purchase of 12 month membership*See Details
*new customers only
Chipotle Steak Salad – WLS Recipes
Chipotle has got to be one of my all time favorite restaurants. I LOOOOVE their salads. While I typically get chicken, sometimes I change it up and go for the steak salad.
Order the salad…but SKIP the dressing. It’s a honey based dressing and loaded with sugar. Also skip the rice. Instead, put the fajita veggies on top with the meat and your favorite salsa. I don’t get the cheese because it’s not reduced fat and the calories aren’t worth it for me…but I do get the guacamole on the side and use about half of the cup instead of dressing. OMG my mouth is watering.
While my at home version is not even close to the same, it’s a great twist on an “at home” salad. Unless I’m really in a cooking mood, I won’t add all the fixings on my at home version, but a good selections of the basics will do. My big key here: use taco seasoning as the steak rub. It gives it SO much flavor and that’s what your really need to make a salad a winner.
Chipotle Steak Salad - WLS Recipes
- 4 lean steaks (ex: sirloin, flank steak)
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and torn
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- salsa of choice for topping
- Rub all sides of the steak with taco seasoning. Set aside and heat grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- Add the steak to grill or grill pan and cook each side about 4 minutes or until done to preference.
- Remove from heat and set on a cutting board to rest 2-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and tear lettuce and divide over four plates. Add chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes and avocado slices. Slice the steak on a cutting board, against the grain.
- Layer the steak over the lettuce, add the cilantro, tomato and avocado. Shred reduced-fat cheddar cheese over top and add salsa, if desired, for dressing.