Portabello Mushroom Pizzas – WLS Recipe
After having such success with my Loaded Pizza on Cauliflower Crust, I decided to give another low-carb pizza recipe a go!
Portabello mushrooms are the large mushrooms that are great for having a “stuffed mushroom” as a dinner choice. Any recipe you have for stuffed mushroom can be made a bigger scale, still small enough for one, but not the small appetizer sizes you’re used to.
For this recipe, I used my Pampered Chef Microwave Egg Cooker. The deep wells were perfect for sitting my mushrooms. You can use a baking sheet lined with foil as well.
I browned the ground chicken meat with a few spices first. Then layered the ingredients in the mushrooms. Baked and voila! All the flavors of pizza in a stuffed mushroom! Delish! And less work than the cauliflower crust…which is worth the work…but I was thankful for a faster recipe :)
Portabello Mushroom Pizzas - WLS Recipe
- 1/2 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp each salt & pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 2 large portabello mushroom caps
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 oz low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375. Meanwhile, brown the ground chicken. Add oregano, salt and pepper. Add fresh garlic and fresh spinach. Sauté about 5 minutes, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Dab the mushroom caps with a web paper towel to clean. Remove the stem and the "guts" with a spoon. Place on baking sheet or baking stone.
- Divide the tomato sauce evenly in the bottom of the mushroom caps. Add the chicken mixture. Top with low-fat mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.