Balsamic Chicken Summer Squash Salad
High protein, low carb and dairy free dinner with fresh flavors.
For patients on a low carb post-bariatric surgery diet.
Yummy in your tummy salad. If you like salads, roasted squash, and balsamic vinegar on your chicken. Well then, you’ll really like this.
Many patients ask when they can have salads again – or just simply MISS salads because their pouch can’t fit a big lettuce filled salad anymore!
It’s true most patients do well to have salads with more of the crunchy or roasted vegetables and less of the fluffy salad. It might fill them up too fast and leave them hungry to have the salad leaves or it just feels uncomfortable.
Regardless if you go for a bit of the salad greens or stick to the veggies, it’s most important to make the protein (chicken in this case) the number on focus in the meal.
I recommend my patients have two bites of protein to every one bite of the vegetable.
I find this recipe is actually fantastic as a leftovers meal. Many salads I would prefer not to eat leftover, however roasted vegetables only improve with time! Okay, not too much time :) This would also be a great option to put in a salad jar for a fast lunch later in the week. Put the vinegar dressing on the bottom, then the roasted vegetables and the chicken and top with the spinach leaves if using.
Here are a few other salad recipes that are yummy layered in a salad jar:
Balsamic Chicken & Summer Squash Salad
- 2 medium Zucchini Squash
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 whole red peppers, roasted and peeled
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced shallots
- 5 oz spinach and arugula mixture
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Preheat grill, or grill pan to medium-high heat. Cut squash lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Spray pan with cooking spray and grill 2 minutes each side. Remove and cut into 1-inch pieces. Cut roasted bell peppers into squares and add to bowl.
- Pound chicken to an even thickness. Combine 2 tsp oil and 1 tbsp vinegar and brush onto chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Add to the grill until cooked through (165 F internal temp). Cover to keep warm.
- Whisk remaining 1 tbsp oil with 2 tbsp vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over squash and peppers. Add shallots and toss (optional but delicious). Add arugula and spinach mixture. Toss the salad together and top with chicken.