Bariatric Friendly “Crack Chicken”
A “recipe redux” makeover for creamy pulled chicken, often called Crack Chicken
Have you seen recipes for “Crack Chicken” on Pinterest?
What a great name. Who doesn’t want to click on that and find out what it is?
This recipe often calls for cream cheese and bacon which of course makes it desirable enough to be called Crack Chicken. However, for a weight loss surgery patient, those high fat ingredients could not only mean falling off plan, it could also end with a lot of digestive discomfort!
High fat and high sugar foods may cause dumping syndrome or even just an upset pouch. No fun.
Wondering what I did to make it more bariatric friendly?
Just a few standard tricks to keep the fat content down. You could certainly dress it up with more of your favorite toppings like green onions or even some cooked turkey bacon crumbles. Mostly I opted for a lower fat cheddar and substituted The Laughing Cow™ Cheese for the cream cheese.
It still provided great flavor and a creamy texture for a very enjoyable change of pace to chicken breast at dinner. I served ours with steamed carrots!
Other weight loss surgery friendly slow cooker recipes
Bariatric Friendly "Crack Chicken"
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1 packet ranch seasoning
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 4 triangles spreadable cheese ex: The Laughing Cow™ Lite Swiss
- 1 cup 2% cheddar cheese shredded
- In the bottom of a slow cooker add chicken broth and ranch season. Stir.
- Nestle chicken breast into the seasoned broth. Cover with lid and cook on low for four hours.
- Remove lid and shred chicken. Add cheese wedges and shredded cheese. Stir in until cheese is melting in. May need to use the back of a spoon to break up the spreadable cheese.
- Remove and serve. Optional toppings: chopped green onion or turkey bacon