Trader Joe’s Copycat Recipe for Cauliflower Thins, a bread substitute
Bariatric Friendly Products at Trader Joe’s
There is no doubt Trader Joe’s has some amazing products for Bariatric Surgery patients.
In fact, I filled a PDF full of Trader Joe’s products in the shopping guide for Premiere Access Members because the options are plentiful!
They have cauliflower thins, cauliflower pizza crust, lots of pre-seasoned meat options for protein and more!
Trader Joe’s can be tricky though.
The snacks and treats are also plentiful so it is really important to have a plan and blinders up to the other items.
If you are a current member, you can find the shopping guide when you click/hover Meal Planning then Grocery Guides (or you can click here! Make sure you’re signed in to your account).
One item I really love from Trader Joe’s is their Cauliflower Thins.
Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Thins
They really do make a great bread substitute. My preference is some deli meat, cheese, mustard and arugula for a delicious low-carb lunch! (Need more lunch ideas? Check out this blog.)
The downside for me personally, is that Trader Joe’s is not very close to my house. We have two in our area but they are both over 20 minutes away and not my normal shopping spot.
Perhaps you don’t have one close to you at all!
Thus, a copycat recipe can be really helpful. Just a few ingredients (especially now that frozen riced cauliflower is so readily available. Anyone remember when we used to have to do that ourselves?!)
You can get creative with the seasonings too! Fresh rosemary would be delicious and you could use it as a bread or as a pizza crust!
- 10 oz riced cauliflower frozen
- 1 egg
- .5 cup parmesan cheese grated, reduced fat
- .5 tsp onion powder or other seasonings as desired
- .25 tsp salt
- .25 tsp pepper
- Heat oven to 450F. Microwave the frozen cauliflower according to package instructions.
- Place in a medium sized bowl and let cool a couple minutes.
- Add egg, cheese, onion powder, salt and pepper. Combine well.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® and divide mixture into four sections (a little over a 1/4 cup each). Use clean hands or back of a spoon to spread and flatten.
- Bake in 450 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the baking sheet and allow to cool.
- Top with deli meat and cheese or taco meat or a hamburger patty...or anything you fancy!