Fall Inspired Turkey Sausage Tomato Sauce
served over spiralized Zucchini noodles
There is just so much to love about the Fall. The cooler air. The pumpkins on porches. Even sunrises and sunsets seem to have a Fall spirit about them!
The meals I create during this time of year are undoubtedly fit to the season. I love the seasonings in this sauce and surprisingly, the cinnamon is my favorite! Try this over steamed veggies or zucchini noodles like I did. Perfect for the bariatric diet. If you’ve had Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass or Gastric Lapband® surgery…I would recommend using a slotted spoon to scoop out your sauce to keep it thick and hearty. This will ensure it will stay with you longer. If something is soupy or liquidy it will leave your pouch quickly and leave you hungry. Focus on the bites of turkey sausage first to fill up on protein!
Fall Inspired Turkey Sausage Tomato Sauce (with Zucchini Noodles)
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1- inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 large zucchini, spiralized
- optional: crumbled feta for topping
- Heat a large dutch oven and spray with cooking spray. Add turkey sausage; cook 8 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Add onion, garlic and carrots to the pan. Add thyme, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and crushed pepper. Cook 1 minute. Add chicken broth. Cook 2 minutes or until broth is starting to reduce.
- Add turkey sausage back into pan. Add tomatoes and stir to combine. Cover and turn heat to low to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spirilize or use a julienne peeler to create zucchini noodles. Place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave about 4 minutes to soften.
- Add sauce to zucchini and sprinkle with 1 tsp feta cheese.