Bariatric friendly, protein packed Lasagna Stew
Bariatric friendly Lasagna style recipes
This recipe has been modified from Dashing Dish for a more bariatric friendly option.
This Lasagna Stew recipe is full of rich Italian flavors, just like that in a lasagna!
Now I have certainly made Zucchini Lasagna as a low carb and bariatric friendly version such as this recipe here. I do really love it.
Another great option is Lasagna Stuffed Squash. Yummy.
This particular recipe has been a huge hit for me because it’s easier than those others and I can make the whole dish in my Instant Pot (same would be true on the stovetop.) Compared to the other dishes that would require browning the meat and transferring it to a casserole dish.
Another win for me is how much this makes. It freezes really well! I use individual freezer cups from Pampered Chef and many members to our website use Souper Cubes for easy frozen meals.
Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker or Stove Top
This dish can be made in any of the ways.
I used my Instant Pot® to brown the meat and then use pressure to cook the soup quickly. The same steps would apply on the stove top but would simmer a little longer.
A slow cooker would require prepping the meat on the stove top and transferred to the slow cooker. I would personally chose this method for hosting!
- 1 lb ground beef 93% lean
- 1 small onion yellow, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 8 oz spinach fresh, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini diced
- 12 oz marinara
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- shredded mozzarella for topping
- Select saute mode and brown ground beef. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. After nearly browned, hit cancel.
- Add other ingredients - spinach, zucchini, marinara, tomatoes and chicken broth. Replace the lid and move valve to sealed position.
- Select high pressure for 5 minutes. Allow natural release for 10 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Use a slotted spoon to serve portions for post-op eaters to keep the meal more dense and less liquid. Top with mozzarella if desired.
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Brown the meat with garlic and onion. Drain. Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning. Transfer to the slow cooker and add other ingredients.
- Stir and replace lid. Cook on low heat for 6 hours.
- Heat a large stock pot to medium high heat. Brown the meat with garlic and onion. Drain. Add salt, Italian seasoning and heat another minute.
- Add other ingredients. Turn heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.