Salisbury Steak with Mushroom & Barbecue Sauce – WLS Recipe
I’ve never made salisbury steak, but I secretly loved when it was served in the lunchroom growing up. For some reason, my friends made fun of it…and scoffed at it. Most of the time I would be brave and get it anyway. Other times I wasn’t prepared for their ridicule of my delicious mystery meat.
When I usually come across recipes for Salisbury Steak, it involves a gravy sauce for the top. It’s the traditional way. However, while playing on my Kraft Foods app on my Smart Phone….I found a great alternative that I could work with. Small adaptations and I was on my way!
Mr. W gave it two thumbs up. I loved it…like…loved it. Not sure what it is about this savory meal…but it’s something awesome!
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom & Barbecue Sauce - WLS Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs 93% lean ground beef
- 1 cup reduced fat grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup low sugar bbq sauce
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix meat, parmesan cheese, 1 1/4 cups water and onions until just blended. Shape into 6 (1/2 inch thick) oval patties. Place on a rimmed baking sheet or baking stone.
- Bake 25 minutes or until done (160F). Meanwhile, cook mushrooms in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in barbecue sauce and remaining water; simmer on low heat 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve meat patties topped with sauce.