Southwest Chicken Salad – WLS Recipes
Welcome to one of our latest dinner in a hurry meals! I happened upon this by total accident when we needed to grab dinner before leaving town. I had chicken in the fridge and needed to come up with something unplanned.
Because I’m an intensive meal planner, this doesn’t happen too often. I actually quite enjoy the challenge on occasion. (Key word: occasion)
I searched the cupboards and found a can of black beans. I’m thinking mexican something… I then remembered I had an extra green bell pepper that will likely go to waste. Definitely something mexican. Next stop was the spice rack. I had a few different bottles of McCormicks salt-free seasonings. I looked at the recipes included with the bottle and got some ideas of where to head next.
This is when the simplicity started showing off! I blotted the chicken with a paper towel and covered it with the Fiesta Citrus seasoning. I heated up the grill outside and started chopping my pepper. Threw the chicken on the grill and rinsed the beans. Put the beans and bell pepper chunks together and awaited the chicken.
Then I put one of my very favorite kitchen tools to good work! My Pampered Chef Salad Choppers.
I chopped my grilled chicken in a jiffy and threw it in with the bell peppers and black beans. Sprinkled on more seasoning and a bit of reduced-fat cheddar. Bingo. Heathy in a Hurry!!! #success
Southwest Chicken Salad - WLS Recipes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp southwest style seasoning
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat outdoor grill. Blot chicken breasts with paper towel and coat all sides with seasoning.
- Add to grill turning once (about 6 minutes per side depending on thickness. Heat to internal temp of 165F)
- Meanwhile chop bell pepper and rinse black beans. Add to a bowl and set aside.
- Once chicken is cooked. Remove from grill and allow to cool until able to handle. Chop chicken.
- Add chicken the bell pepper and black bean mixture. Sprinkle on more seasoning and toss together. Serve with shredded cheese