Tex-Mex Beef Stew – Bariatric Recipes
Weight Loss Surgery friendly Chili recipes! This Tex Mex Chili, Jalapeno Popper Chili and more! High in protein, easy to make and great to freeze in small batches for portion sizes. Chicken, turkey, beef and pork with vegetables, seasonings and spices to keep you post-op diet exciting!
If you follow me on Facebook, you may have seen that in the Wagner Household….Sundays in the the Fall and Winter = Chili Sundays.
Every Sunday I put a really big batch of chili in the Crockpot® so we can eat immediately after church…and then we reheat it whenever we are ready for dinner. I highly recommend it! We’ve had fun with several different flavors and styles of chills and are always so grateful to walk into the door on a Fall or Winter Sunday to the smells of chili.
Here are the chili’s we’ve featured thus far this season:
This week we took a totally different spin and the chili turned out much like a stew. So we had Stew Sunday this week…but that’s cool too!
Chili is a great bariatric patient meal. Packed with protein and easy to reheat which allows your meals to go very far! Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass and Gastric Lapband® patients are sure to appreciate this recipe…as well as your families. Keep the stew nice and thick to avoid a soupy stew/chili that leaves your pouch quickly and brings hunger back quickly.
Tex-Mex Beef Stew - Bariatric Recipes
- 1.5 lbs extra lean stew meat
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 (16 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- fresh cilantro, chopped (for topping)
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add stew meat (in batches as needed) to brown on all sides.
- Add garlic to the skillet and cook 1-2 minutes. Remove meat mixture to a slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Set to low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Use a fork to kitchen shears to cut the cooked stew meat into much smaller pieces to keep bites small.