Zucchini Pizza Boats
I love the flavors of pizza and I LOVE stuffing zucchini with different toppings.
So naturally a pizza stuffed zucchini boat was created recently in my kitchen. With the symptoms of first trimester keeping me from cooking for a good six week period (my poor husband! Ahem…yeah right!) you can imagine the excitement for the both of us when I felt good enough to get back in the kitchen. I think my kitchen was happy too! And my local Aldi! They missed me…I’m certain of it.
This is a great recipe for pre and postop weight-loss surgery patients. Low in carbs as there is absolutely no starch involved! Very simple to get together too. This is very much a beginners level meal if you feel you’re a novice cook ;)
Some recipe for zucchini boats would have you par-boil them first. I’ve never found that a necessary step! I like my zucchini to have a bit of firmness to it, so it’s worth the time saved to skip the boiling.
Postop Sleeve, Band and Bypass patients need to keep bites need very small. Cut your zucchini boat before you even start eating your meal and watch that the bites aren’t getting bigger than a peanut or a black bean. Focus on the protein first and enjoy bites of zucchini for a change of taste and texture.
Zucchini Pizza Boats
- 2 large zucchini squash, halved and seeds removed
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp marinara sauce (lowest sugar available)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 slices 12 turkey pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Meanwhile prepare zucchini and set aside.
- Brown ground turkey and drain. Add seasonings and stir, cooking for 1 minute. Add marinara sauce and turn down heat to low until oven is ready.
- Place zucchini on a cooking stone or baking sheet. Spoon a bit of marinara sauce into the bottom of each zucchini boat.
- Spoon the meat mixture into the zucchini boat.
- Top with shredded cheese and turkey pepperoni.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes in heated oven. Let cool and serve.