Bariatric Friendly Creamy Hot Cocoa
At the time I write this post, we have hit our first truly chilly day of the season. The high will be 56 today and it is WINDY! Already the desire for a warm and cozy drink is dancing in our heads!
Bariatric surgery patients – this is a great recipe for an easy, low calorie hot cocoa that isn’t packed with sugar. I love that I can keep the ingredients on hand (there are only 3 after all) and make a warm mug when it’s cold and dark far too early in the evenings. I usually sip on it while I’m folding laundry or making my to do list for the next day.
You could put a dollop of light whipped topping on it, but I’ve found the almond milk allows it to be creamy without any extra help!
ANOTHER Note: This recipe is specifically for protein hot chocolate if you need to meet protein goals or need this to be a more filling beverage. IF you are looking more to meet a sweet treat with less caloric intake and don’t have need for additional protein, you will want this recipe for Creamy Hot Cocoa.
Bariatric Friendly Cream Hot Cocoa
- 1 tbsp Dutch processed cocoa cocoa only - no sugar added
- 2 tbsp natural no calorie sweetener ex: Truvia or Swerve®
- 2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Combine cocoa and sweetener in a mug. Add almond milk and whisk.
- Microwave for 60 seconds. Whisk again. Return to microwave for 30 more seconds.
- For variety try adding mint, almond or vanilla extract!