Creamy Gelatin Squares – Sugar Free Postop Treat
I’ve always been a fan of sugar-free gelatin. I usually buy the cups (because I don’t always take the time to make my own even though it’s a huge cost saver!) and eat it alone, with whipped topping or with cottage cheese (so sue me).
Sugar-free gelatin is a life saver for bariatric patients. Sure, you grow very tired of it after a liquid diet, but it serves it’s purpose during that time of much needed texture; and there will be a day when it sounds good again.
I love this spin on sugar-free gelatin for a delicious dessert treat without any actual cheating! You can use any flavor you’d like – lemon, strawberry, lime and so on.
Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Bypass Patients – remember sugar-free gelatin should be treated like a liquid. That means don’t eat it with your meal and wait 60 minutes after your meal to have it. This will allow the protein and veggies of your meal to stay with you longer and keep your hunger away (translation…better weight-loss).
Creamy Gelatin Squares - Sugar Free Postop Treat
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (0.60 oz) Sugar Free Gelatin (flavor of choice)
- ice cubes see instructions for quantity
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups thawed light whipped topping
- Add boiling water to gelatin mix in large bowl and stir until completely dissolved.
- Add enough ice to cold water to measure 1-1/2 cups.
- Add ice and water to gelatin; stir until ice is completely melted.
- Remove 1-1/2 cups gelatin; set aside on counter. Refrigerate remaining gelatin 30 min. or until slightly thickened.
- Add 3/4 cup whipped topping to chilled thickened gelatin; whisk until well blended.
- Pour into 8-inch square dish. Refrigerate 30 min. or until gelatin mixture is set but not firm. Carefully pour reserved gelatin over creamy gelatin layer in dish.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm. Cut into squares; top with remaining whipped topping.