A Low-Carber’s Holiday Eggnog
Yep. You read it right. I created a low-carb and low calorie egg nog! Ha!
Okay…it’s the closest I can personally get to an egg nog. With all the fat and sugar in a traditional egg nog, I have to pretend I don’t like it when oh my gosh I so do!
This recreation will be as close as a low-carber like myself could do. Using unsweetened almond milk and sugar-free vanilla syrup, the calorie report card is SO much better than the real deal:
Low-Carb version: 110 calories, 8 grams protein, <1 gram sugar, 8 grams fat
Tradition version (varies by brand): 225 calories, 12 grams protein, 20 grams sugar, 11 grams fat
After Gastric Bypass or Gastric Sleeve surgery, most programs will recommend avoiding foods with more than 8 grams of sugar or fat per serving. Not only is this recipe a better idea for your weight-loss, it will also prevent some uncomfortable GI upset the tradition version may bring! Not the kind of holiday present you’d like, eh??
A Low-Carber's Holiday Eggnog
- 1 egg
- 4 packets natural no calorie sweetener
- 1 tsp sugar free vanilla syrup found in coffee aisle or online
- 1 1/4 cup cold unsweet almond milk
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg more if desired
- Place in a small blender (or whatever blender you have) the egg, sweetener, and sugar-free vanilla syrup. Blend on high for 30-60 seconds until thoroughly blended.
- Add cold almond milk and blend for another 30-60 seconds.
- Pour into serving glasses and sprinkle a good amount of nutmeg on top. Enjoy!