Enrolling Now! Winter 2023 Focus Month
Get focused with us February 6 to March 5Get More Info Here!
Shredded Taco Beef
Don’t you just love the flavors of taco shredded beef?? MMMM. When it’s been cooking all day in your slow cooker and you walk in the door to moist and delicious beef that leaves you nice and full?? Me too.
Weight-loss surgery patients must focus on lean and solid sources of protein for the best results. Why? Protein is what fills you up on a small portion and keeps you full for hours (translation- keeps you from snacking!)
Whether you’ve had Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass or no surgery at all…don’t forget to focus on the LEAN sources of solid protein. Choosing a chuck roast, for example, can make a big difference in your fat intake in that meal.
Check this out. I was at Target to buy my meat and I had two options in my hand. Look closely at the fat content listed in each of the choices.
Aha! This Chuck Tender Roast has 6 grams of fat for 4 ounces. Winner!!!!
Enjoy topping such as cilantro, fresh lime juice or reduced fat cheese as you enjoy this delicious and moist shredded taco beef! Happy Eating! :)
Shredded Taco Beef
- 2 lbs chuck tender roast
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup low sodium beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced optional
- Whisk together the chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika in a small bowl. Rub the spice mix into the beef, covering each side evenly.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully place the beef in the skillet and sear on each side until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the beef from the skillet and place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Add diced onion to the saute pan. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the beef stock and stir the pan to deglaze it, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomato paste and minced chipotle, and whisk into the pan sauce until combined. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for a 3-5 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Pour the pan sauce down over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, until the beef shreds easily.
- Shred the beef with two forks, and toss to coat with any of the remaining juices.