Sugar Free Strawberry Ricotta Gelatin – Bariatric Soft Liquid Diet Recipe
After weight-loss surgery, you have to progress your diet slowly back to regular textured foods. To keep stress off your healing Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Bypass or Gastric Band, you usually start with liquids before moving to softer foods and finally back to solid textures.
Every bariatric program does this progression a little differently, so be sure to follow your program guidelines. For my clients, this recipe would be appropriate after the first two weeks of liquids. Once they hit the two week mark, this would be approved.
Sugar-free gelatin is appropriate during the liquid diet. This recipe, however, adds light ricotta cheese which gives it a slightly thicker texture as well as more protein.
Here’s the funny thing to note – you’ll notice in the picture there is a distinct separation from the bottom to the top. The top is more of a gelatin texture while the bottom is much thicker, almost like a cheesecake texture. It’s just a funny quick that comes with the addition of the ricotta. You could…once the jello has set…remove the top layers into a separate dish and just have the bottom layer as your meal.
Just another recipe to add to your list during this short diet phase as you transition back to solids!!
Small bites….pause in between bites…stop at the very first sign of fullness.
For most programs this recipe is approved in the pureed and/or soft phase of the bariatric diet.
Sugar Free Strawberry Ricotta Gelatin - Bariatric Soft Liquid Diet Recipe
- 1 package strawberry sugar-free gelatin can use any flavor
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 2/3 cup light Ricotta cheese
- Use a fork to fluff up the ricotta cheese. Prepare four dishes to pour mixture into.
- Put gelatin package into a medium mixing bowl. Add 1 cup boiling water to gelatin and whisk together until gelatin is dissolved. Stir in ricotta.
- Add cold water and mix all together. Pour into the 4 dishes. Cover and refrigerate for minimum 2 hours or until set.
- Remove and discard the top layer of the gelatin until you see the more dense and deeper colored gelatin.