Hot Ham and Swiss Chicken Breasts
Served with sautéed mushrooms and tomato slices
Chicken Cordon Bleu, re-done
What is “Hot Ham and Swiss Chicken Breasts?” – really, it’s a spin off a classic Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Traditionally Chicken Cordon Bleu is a dish with meat wrapped around cheese. How most have come to know it is chicken, pounded thin and wrapped around ham and swiss, then breaded and fried.
Essentially what I did here was take the flavors you might see inside a chicken cordon bleu and reversed them to cut the breaded and fried portion of the dish and save time.
However, it felt like such a different dish than Chicken Cordon Bleu that in the end, I decided it was ham and swiss chicken breast! But now you know the story behind the recipe :)
How I set up my cooking process
Typically I’m a fan of a one pot dinners but I did notice with this dish it was easier to work in batches.
I cut my chicken breast in half length wise and THEN again cut it in half to make a thinner piece of chicken. This left me with six pieces of chicken.
I had six pieces of chicken in a bowl with the mustard mixture. Then the hot skillet. Then I had a covered dish.
First I sautéed the mushrooms and moved it to the covered dish. I cooked three chicken breasts and moved them to the covered dish. I placed a slice of swiss cheese on the chicken before putting the lid over top to help it melt slightly. Then cooked the next three chicken breasts.
I went ahead and put the slices of ham on a smaller heated skillet while the chicken cooked. It seemed to save time and it was easy to wash that skillet. Sometimes I debate and would rather not use an extra dish but this time it felt more efficient.
I then sliced the tomato and layered the plates – chicken with swiss, ham, mushrooms and tomato slices. It’s unique but a fun twist on chicken breast!
Other chicken recipes:
Ham and Swiss Chicken with Mushrooms and Tomatoes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz white mushrooms thinly sliced
- 3 slices swiss cheese cut in half
- 6 slices shaved deli ham
- 1 roma tomato sliced
- Use chicken shears to cut any unwanted pieces of chicken breast. Cut chicken breast in half lengthwise. Cut chicken breast in half again going through the chicken to make a thinner breast.
- Add chicken to a mixing bowl. Add mustard, 1 tsp olive oil and white wine vinegar. Stir to coat and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tsp olive oil and the mushrooms and cook. Stirring occasionally until browned. Place in a large covered dish to the side to keep warm. (Note: if mushroom slices are still large, chop further)
- Add three chicken breasts to the hot pan and cook approximately 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove chicken to covered dish with mushrooms. Immediately place slice of cheese over each.
- Add next batch of chicken breast to the skillet and repeat. Which chicken is cooking. heat a small skillet to medium high heat. Add ham slices in batches and heat about 2 minutes per side. Place on top of chicken breasts.
- When all chicken is cooked through each should be topped with swiss and ham. Serve with mushroom and tomato slices.