Iced Vanilla Chai Tea (with Protein)
*Spoiler alert! You are looking at a recipe in my next cookbook! Best Fork Forward: Drinks and Desserts!
I am a really big fan of chai tea. It’s a weakness! Especially when the Fall comes around, one of the most tempting orders I could make at Starbucks is an Iced Chai Tea Latte. BUT even if I was really “good” and ordered a SMALL with NONFAT MILK (I mean…how healthy is that?!?!) it would cost me 33 grams of carbohydrates. Between the milk and the concentrate mix they use…that’s a lot of sugar to put in my body.
Good news here? I can save money and maaaajor sugar/carbs/calories but making my at home version with vanilla protein powder and a touch of sweetener. Use this as an evening treat if you need or even as a protein shake if you are on a pre-op diet.
A note to postop patients on protein shakes: use them wisely. The majority of the time, protein shakes really aren’t the best choice after Gastric Sleeve, Bypass or Duodenal Switch. I know you’re thinking “WHAT? But how would I get my protein in??” I have videos all about these sorts of questions but in general a protein shake will not fill you up and keep you full as long as a food protein would.
But. A “wise” use of a protein shake would be for a treat like this. If it gives you the satisfaction you’ve been desiring without breaking down and going for the Starbucks big dog.
Here is a video (reserved for members) about shakes and when to use them after surgery.
Iced Vanilla Chai Tea
- 1 bag decaf chai tea example brands "Stash" or "Twinnings"
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder example brands "Unjury" or "Powercrunch"
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1-3 tsp sweetener of choice and if desired
- Steep tea in water for 4 minutes per package instructions. Set aside to let cool to room temperature.
- Pour tea in a shaker cup with vanilla protein powder and shake well. Pour over ice. Taste and add sweetener if desired.