Bariatric Friendly recipe using pumpkin pie spice for extra Fall flavors in your chili
Bariatric Surgery patients can never have too many chili recipes. It’s such a wonderful way to get good protein in but while enjoying so many flavor profiles!
This chili is yet another big flavor change bringing in the Fall flavor of Pumpkin. The canned pumpkin itself doesn’t have much flavor so use it minimally to keep carbohydrates down, however, a small amount gives a fun and creamy texture. The real flavor comes in with the Pumpkin Pie Spice and the Chili Powder.
It’s certainly a different style of chili but in our house…it’s a hit! My personal preference is to add a little reduced fat crumbled feta cheese on top.
Looking for more chili recipes? Check out some of these…
Simple Italian Chili *plus video on how to make single servings
Sweet Chipotle Turkey Chili (members recipe)
Looking for more Fall and pumpkin recipes?
Fall is a very tempting time when it comes to food. Okay, just about any time of year is temping for food! Certainly recipes with pumpkin are all over the place. I encourage patients to find all the other ways to bring Fall into their lives from Scentsy® scents to hand soaps or even putting Mums and pumpkins out.
After finding some non-food ways to enjoy the Fall, you can great creative in other ways to enjoy it in flavor!
Click here and you’ll find recipes with the word pumpkin in them!
Click here and you’ll find a recipe roundup of several bariatric friendly fall recipes!
- 1.5 lbs 93% lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a medium saute pan, brown the ground beef, drain.
- Add the onions and bell pepper and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a slow cooker, combine the diced tomatoes, beans, pumpkin, chili powder, cumin, pumpkin pie spice, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine. Add in cooked beef mixture and stir. Cook on low 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Optional suggestion: top with reduced fat Feta cheese crumbles.