Fajita Turkey Burger – Bariatric Recipes
Burgers are a fantastic meal option for post-bariatric surgery patients! Packed with protein and flavor this meal will fill you up after Gastric Sleeve, Bypass or Banding surgery and leave you full and satisfied for hours. Which means better weight loss results! Take small bites, eat slowly and stop at the very first sign of fullness.
I love burger season. It doesn’t always have to be “burger season” for me to make this meal…but it certainly gets made more often in the Spring and Summer months!
This is a wonderful burger for two reasons:
1. it’s simple.
2. it’s delicious.
I’ve also found easy ways to keep moisture in the burger, especially turkey burgers, which can help post-op patients feel more comfortable after eating. Of course, you always want to keep bites very small (peanut sized) and eat slowly but it does help to have more moisture in the meat. I saute the burger on the stovetop for a minute and then add a lid to trap the steam into the burger. Then I flip, leave the lid off a minute and add the lid until the temperature reads 160F.
So there you have it. Certainly you are convinced by now! PS you can make this over your stove top too :)
I have SO many more burger recipes for you to try! At the time of this post FoodCoach.Me has over 35 burger recipes! (Click here to find them) PLUS Join the members of FoodCoach.Me and have access to all 500+ recipes on the site!
Fajita Turkey Burger - Bariatric Recipes
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup grated reduced fat parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- Mix together ground turkey, grated parmesan cheese, egg white, salt & pepper and 1 tbsp taco seasoning.
- Heat the grill- and meanwhile, form the mixture into patties. Grill for about 4-5 minutes per side or until internal temperature reads 165 F.
- Meanwhile, add sliced onions and bell peppers to a skillet over medium high heat. Sprinkle another tbsp of taco seasoning to the mixture. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Once burgers are cooked- remove from grill and top with bell peppers and onions. Serve with salsa or other toppings as desired.