Lemon Rosemary Chicken – WLS Recipe
Isn’t lemon so….refreshing??! I love the smell of this lemon & rosemary chicken dish. Rosemary is another amazing aromatic for the house and between these two, I can hardly WAIT for the timer to go off and dinner to begin!
I used chicken thighs in this dish which I only do occasionally because of the fat content. It’s a softer and more moist meat which most Bariatric patients appreciate but is also a higher fat meat which the scale doesn’t always appreciate :) For me, everyone once and a while…it’s just worth it and I’d like to take a break from the breast meat!
This could be used as a soft protein diet option – but check your diet guidelines to make sure.
In my practice, dark meat chicken is okay to introduce once you are are three weeks out of surgery. For my patients, you could make this recipe and scrape off the bits of rosemary and just focus on the meat but still have the flavors that were baked in.
If you are farther out of your surgery, or pre-surgery, pair this chicken with a non-starchy vegetable and be sure to have TWO bites of protein to everyone ONE bite of vegetable! This is true for all surgeries – Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Banding.
Lemon Rosemary Chicken - WLS Recipe
- 2 lemons- 1 zested and juiced & 1 thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary OR 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the chicken, rosemary and sliced lemon with the mustard mixture.
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer and spread lemons over the top.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until internal temperature reads 165 F.