Red Pepper Enchilada Bean Puree – Bariatric Pureed Diet
Red Pepper Enchilada Bean Puree
The bariatric pureed diet is not for the faint of heart. Let’s face it.
Although, congratulations on finishing your liquid diet! Now you get to embark on some very soft textured foods! It doesn’t have to be all bad. Keep in mind all bariatric programs differ in the recommendations so review your guidelines and then get creative with adding flavor to those options!
Beans can take on such a great texture with their creamy, yet thick consistency. However, that creamy consistency is thanks to the starch content in the beans which bariatric patients have been taught to limit in their diet. If it seems too thick, add more broth to thin it out.
This recipe isn’t the highest in protein, so adding some unflavored protein powder will increase the protein content. I only use half a scoop as too much protein powder will turn it gritty. Beans do have some protein, but actually they have more carbohydrates than protein! So this recipe is best only in the pureed phase but not beyond, unless used as a side or topping.
You can save and reheat this bean puree for later meals, or even add to eggs when you feel ready. Get creative with other bean puree flavors such as Black Bean and Lime or Pureed Salsa and Beans.
If you’re embarking on the bariatric pureed diet phase – consider membership to FoodCoach.Me and have access to the pureed diet meal plan! Click here for more information.
Don’t forget to check out these 28 other Recipes for the Pureed & Soft Diet Phases! You can do this!!!
Red Pepper Enchilada Bean Puree - Bariatric Pureed Diet
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tbsp red enchilada sauce, divided
- 2 tbsp finely chopped jarred roasted red pepper * may need to omit based on your program
- 2 tbsp chicken broth
- 1 tbsp unflavored protein powder half a scoop
- Add black beans, 2 tbsp enchilada sauce and red pepper to a small sauce pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add broth.
- Use a hand blender to blend ingredients well. OR move to a blender and blend well.
- Transfer bean puree´ to a bowl. Allow to cool a moment and add protein powder and another 1/2 tsp enchilada sauce. Serve.