Chicken with Cilantro Lime Tomato Relish
Chicken Cilantro Lime Tomato Relish
After bariatric surgery it can be a huge challenge to keep flavors fresh and exciting. You easily grow tired of the same tuna salad or hamburger patty. Both are great meals with lots of protein and simple to get together BUT food fatigue – growing so tired of the same food all the time – has derailed many a post-op patient.
That’s why I love using fresh ingredients like CILANTRO LIME TOMATO. Sorry for the caps but they are really great flavors!!! I also used a bit of cumin in the recipe to keep the chicken more exciting.
Chicken can be a tough protein source for many patients to digest and enjoy. Some tips here:
⇒ Add a little chicken broth to the pan for more moisture
⇒Put a lid on top of the chicken to lock in the steam/moisture for a softer textured chicken breast
⇒Use chicken tenderloin or cut down large pieces of chicken breast to get the center cooked more quickly and save time, but also lower the risk of having dry chicken on the outside
⇒ Cut your bites up TINY before you take your first bit. Small bites, pausing in between…sometimes food feels “dry” because it’s too much hitting the pouch at once!
There isn’t anything fancy about the topping in this recipe except that its really fresh ingredients. You can change this up and add some jalapeno or even add some mango for a sweet twist! (Yes, adding mango increases yoru carbohydrates a bit…track it in your phone app to keep your macros balanced for the day. Most most patients I recommend 50% protein, 20% carbs and 30% fat)
For other recipes that utilize fresh flavors like this one, try one of these (links below photos):
Pork Medallions with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Blueberry Feta and Pepita Salad
Chicken with Cilantro Lime & Tomato Relish
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a medium sized bowl combine green onion, cilantro, lime juice and cherry tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to marinate until ready.
- Season all sides of chicken with cumin, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pan to medium high heat on the stove top. Working in batches, cook chicken 3-4 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Remove chicken from heat and plate. Top with tomato-lime relish.