Shrimp Burgers – Low Carb WLS Recipe
I can honestly say that until this week- I have never had a shrimp burger. Salmon burger yes. Not shrimp. Never ordered one. And definitely never made one.
If you’re already getting a little gun shy about the title of this recipe- just hold tight. Read on my friend.
There is something about fish and shellfish that is incredibly intimidating to prepare. I can handle chicken, turkey, beef and pork any day of the week. But shrimp, scallops, halibut? Ummmm…pass. Which is probably why I like to order seafood. I like it eat it but hesitant to prepare it.
Alas my Rachael Ray magazine is getting featured again. (Shout out Rach!) There is a food processor involved, but other than that, this recipe is not complicated. It’s adapted from the original just slightly to cut back starch.
Shrimp Burgers - Low Carb WLS Recipe
- 1 lb thawed pre-cooked frozen shrimp, tails removed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion, some extra for topping
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayo
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- cooking spray
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- In a blender or food processor, add shrimp and pulse until coarsely chopped. Remove shrimp to a bowl and stir in red onion, egg, and Old Bay seasoning. Form into patties and put in refrigerator for 15 minutes while preparing the rest.
- Mix vinegar and fat-free mayo until well blended. Heat either a grill or a non-stick skillet and spray with cooking spray. Add shrimp burger patty to heat and cook for about 5 minutes per side.
- Lightly top shrimp burger with fat-free mayo mixture. Serve with avocado and red onions for toppings.